So, you’d like to change your Windows computer’s default account name. Maybe you didn’t put your real name in when you first signed up, or maybe you did and now want to change it.
Whatever your reason, the Windows operating system makes it relatively easy to change the account name. We’ve covered how to do that on both Windows 10 and Windows 11 in this article.
Let’s get this party started.
Advanced Control Panel
The Advanced Control Panel makes it simple to change your account name. Here’s how to do it:
- Press the Windows key + R, type in ‘netplwiz’ or ‘control userpasswords2’, and hit the Enter key.
- On the User Accounts menu, select the account and click on Properties.
- On the General tab in the new window, enter the username you’d like to use from now on.
- Click on OK.
When you restart your computer, your account name will be changed. In the Windows 11 environment, the procedure is very similar.
Use the Control Panel
The Control Panel is the hub of your Windows system. You can customize the look and feel of your Windows as well as other important Windows settings from here.
You can also change the name of your Windows account from the Control Panel:
- Go to the Start menu search bar, type in ‘control panel,’ and select the Best Match.
- From there, open the User Accounts panel, and click on Manage another account.
- Click on the account you want to edit > Change account name.
Now type in the new username you’d like to use and click Change Name to complete the process.
The procedure is similar for your Windows 11 computer. Follow the steps below to get started:
- Launch the Control Panel and select User accounts > Change account type.
- Select your local account and click on Change the account name.
- Enter the new account name and click on Change Name.
Your username in Windows 11 will be changed immediately.
Change Windows account name Via Settings
On your Windows computer, the Settings allows you to play around with a variety of options. With its assistance, you can also change the account name settings. To get started, follow the steps below:
- Open the Windows Settings (Windows Key + I).
- Click on Accounts > Your info > Manage my Microsoft account option from there.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account and click on your profile picture.
- You’ll be taken to Your info section. From there, click on the Edit name option.
- Enter a new username (both first and last name) and click on Save.
Your username has been successfully changed. Restart your computer to ensure that the changes are applied correctly.
Hopefully, this article made it simple for you to change the name of your Windows account. But don’t come to a halt right now. Apart from usernames, the Windows operating system also allows you to change the Windows profile picture and manage the type of your user account.