When you install the Skype app on a Windows 11 computer, it launches automatically every time you log in to the desktop. You can always close Skype by right-clicking its icon on the taskbar, but it will start automatically the next time you log in. If it burns and you don’t want the Skype app to start every time you boot up your computer, this guide will show you how to disable Disable Skype Auto Start .
You can download Skype from either the Microsoft Store or a traditional desktop app, just for your information. With Windows 11, you can prevent both types of programs from starting.
Disable Skype from Starting Automatically on Windows
If you installed Skype from the Microsoft Store, follow the steps below to prevent it from automatically starting when you sign in:
- To search within the installed programs, click the Start or Search button on the taskbar and type Skype.
- Right-click the Skype app under “Best match” and select App settings.
- On the right sidebar of the Skype settings window, scroll down a little. To disable Skye from automatically starting up when you sign in to Windows 11, toggle the button to the Off position in the “Runs at log-in” section.
Related: How to Unlock your Microsoft Account
Disable Skype Auto Start in Windows 11 using Task Manager?
If you have the traditional Skype app installed on your computer, you can use Task Manager to disable auto-start. To do so, follow the steps outlined below:
- Go to the Task Manager and open it. To do so, right-click the Start button on the Windows 11 Taskbar and choose Task Manager.
- If Task Manager opens in compact mode, click the More details link at the bottom.
- Next, go to the Startup tab and scroll down until you find Skype in the list. Then right-click on it and choose Disable from the menu.
That is all there is to it. When you sign in to your account on Windows, Skype will no longer open automatically.
Related: How to Find Out What Wake-ups Your Windows 10 Computer
Disable Skype Auto Start from the Program Settings
You can set Skype to not start automatically when Windows starts up using the Skype app. Use the steps below to accomplish this:-
- To begin, launch the Skype application.
- Then, from the menu that appears, click the ellipse (three dots) and select Settings.
- When the Skype Settings window appears, go to the left sidebar and select General.
- Then toggle the following buttons to Off on the right sidebar:-
– Automatically start Skype.
– On close, keep Skype running.
Close the Skype Settings window when you’re finished. When you sign in to your account, the Skype application will no longer open automatically. Additionally, the Skype app will not run in the background when you close it.
Related: How to Set Graphics Performance Preferences in Windows 10
People also ask