How do I turn on the Screen Saver in Windows 11? Screen savers have long been a part of the Windows operating system, but they have not improved since Windows 7. Microsoft includes screen savers with Windows 7 and its successors. The same can be said for Windows 11. The screensavers that come with Windows 11 are the same as those that came with Windows 7, and nothing has changed. Microsoft has shown no interest in improving it due to its low popularity.
Few people are aware that Windows 11 also includes screen savers. It is turned off by default because it is not required on modern PCs. It was first introduced to prevent screen burn-in (in Cathode Ray Tube displays) caused by non-uniform display pixel use over time. Most people still use it to protect their computer when they are not using it.
How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows 11?
On Windows 11, turning on or off the screen saver is relatively simple. Follow these steps to enable or disable the screen saver:-
- Press the Windows + I keys on the keyboard to launch the Settings app.
- From the left side pane of the settings window that appears, select the Personalization category.
- In the Personalization pane on the right, select Lock Screen.
- Select Screen Saver from the drop-down menu.
- The Screen Saver Settings window will appear after you’ve completed the previous steps. From the drop-down menu, choose the screensaver you want.
- If you want to customize the selected screen saver, click the Settings button next to it. If the selected screen saver can be customized, a new pop-up window will appear; otherwise, the message “This screen saver has no options that you can set” will appear. Customization is available only in the 3D Text screen saver.
- If you want to see a preview of the screen saver before applying it, click the Preview button. When a screen saver is being previewed, you can exit it by pressing any key on the keyboard.
- Next, specify how many inactive minutes Windows 11 should wait before displaying the screen saver. The default value is 1 minute, but you can change it by clicking the up and down arrow buttons, or you can choose the value manually by typing between 1 and 9999.
Also, make sure the checkbox is checked. Display the logon screen when the computer is restarted. This feature will password-protect your account when you are away from your computer. When you try to log in to your account after activating the screensaver, you will be prompted to enter your password or other methods of authentication. Finally, press the Apply and OK buttons.
When your computer is idle for the amount of time you specify, the screen saver will automatically activate and protect your computer from unauthorized access.
If you don’t want to use the Settings app to enable or disable the screensaver, open the Search menu by clicking the Start button on the taskbar or pressing the Windows + S shortcut keys. Type change screen saver into the search box.
To open the Screen Saver Settings window, select Change screen saver. To configure the screen saver, repeat the steps from step 5 above.
On the Screen Saver Settings window, select (None) from the drop-down menu to disable or turn off the screensaver on your Windows 11 computer. Then uncheck the box labeled “Display logon screen on resume.”
Finally, press the Apply and then OK buttons. Your computer will no longer be protected by the screensaver.
How to Create a Screen Saver Settings Shortcut on Windows 11 Desktop?
If you’re a Windows user who frequently changes the screen saver on your computer and would like to create a desktop icon for it, follow these steps:-
- Right-click on a blank space on your desktop and choose New, followed by Shortcut.
- Copy and paste the following text into the Create Shortcut wizard:-
- At the bottom of the screen, click the Next button.
- Give your shortcut the name Screen Saver.
- When you’re finished, click the Finish button.
Once you’ve completed the above steps, a Screen saver shortcut will appear on your PC’s desktop. Screen Saver Settings can be accessed by double-clicking on this shortcut.