1. Restart Your PC
Sometimes one of the simplest and seemingly trivial solutions (like restarting the PC) can solve the problem. Therefore, before continuing to try more complicated methods, it is worth trying a simple restart.
2. Run the Windows Troubleshooter
The vcruntime140.dll missing error can be caused by installing or updating the application, which usually leads to loss of data or critical files.
If this is the case, then the Windows troubleshooting application will be the right solution for you. Windows Troubleshooter is a built-in Windows 10 tool that can help you resolve minor issues such as Windows update issues, Bluetooth driver issues, audio, and more.
- To get started, open the Windows Settings by clicking on Windows Key + I, and from there, click on the Update & Security.
- In the next window, go to the Troubleshoot section, and click on the Additional Troubleshooter option.
- From there, navigate to Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and click on it. The troubleshooter will then run its course, check and try to fix any errors it finds.
If this is actually the cause of the “vcruntime140.dll not found” error on your PC, running the troubleshooter should quickly remove it.
3. Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
Since “vcruntime140.dll was not found” is due to the loss or damage of Visual C++-related DLL files, it is definitely worth reinstalling.
Please follow the steps below:
- Go to the Official site of Microsoft Visual C++.
- Download & Install the relevant version of the program.
- After the installation is complete, restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
If the error was due to this, it will be resolved after the reinstall of Visual C++.
4. Update Windows 10
Microsoft will periodically release new updates for Windows 10.
These updates include fixes for new security threats, fixes for simple bugs, and more. Driver updates are also included, and because vcruntime140.dll is missing and incorrectly linked to the DLL, Windows Update may resolve the problem.
Follow the steps below to get started:
- Open the Windows Settings by pressing Windows Key + I.
- Select the Update and Security option.
- In the next windows tab, click on the Check for updates option.
- If there is any new update then simply click on the update & install button.
After the system is successfully updated, restart the application that caused the vcruntime140.dll not found error. If it was due to an upgrade issue, it should be resolved by now.
5. Reinstall the Specific Program
Another way to solve these problems is to reinstall the application that is causing you problems.
To do this, press Windows key + I to open settings and then click Apps options.
In the next window, select the specific application that provides the vcruntime140.dll missing error. For example, in this case, we choose to uninstall Google Chrome.
Please continue uninstalling and then reinstall your application.
If the runtime error of vcruntime140.dll persists, don’t give up. Skip directly to the next method.
6. Update Windows Driver
If you are using some specific drivers and encountered a vcruntime140.dll error at the time, updating these drivers may be the solution.
To do this, you can use the Windows Device Manager. Windows Device Manager is a free tool created by Microsoft that allows you to manage the hardware connected to your PC.
- To open it, right-click on the Windows Start button and then click on Device Manager.
- Then, choose the driver that’s giving you the trouble. For example, if it’s the AC Adapter driver, select the icon to expand it, then right-click on it and click on Update Driver.
If there’s a new update available, the Device Manager will install it automatically.
7. Run the System File Checker
The System File Checker (SFC) is another free tool from Microsoft that can help you fix the vcruntime140_1 DLL not found error. It works by scanning your PC for errors and damage issues, and then repairing it.
To run an SFC scan, you must open a command prompt as administrator. To do that, type cmd in the Start Menu search bar, then right-click and select Run as administrator.
In the Command prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit the Enter.
It will take some time to complete the scan and repair the files. When finished, restart the PC for the changes to take effect. Usually, SFC will solve many Windows errors like this. However, if you are still facing the vcruntime140.dll is missing error, please go to the next solution.
8. Use Windows System Restore
The working principle of System Restore is to restore your PC to a previously known good working order.
Note that to implement a system restore, you must first have a previous backup. If you have never backed up your PC, this method will not work for you.
To check if you have a system restore backup, just open the system restore application. To do this, type system restore in the Start menu search bar and select “Best match.”
From there, click System Restore as shown below. System Restore will configure the wizard. Then click Next, select a restore point, and then click Next again. Clicking “Finish” will start the recovery process.
If all goes well, now you will not see the error “vcruntime140.dll not found”.
9. Windows 10 Factory Reset
If you have tried all the above methods, but still cannot get rid of the vcruntime140.dll not found error, then as a last resort, you can try Windows factory reset.
As the name suggests, a factory reset will allow you to completely format your Windows device, thereby deleting all files and applications from your computer. It will then reinstall Windows and the applications pre-installed by the manufacturer.
Say Goodbye to Vcruntime140.dll Not Found Error
It is not uncommon to encounter “vcruntime140.dll is missing” errors when installing new programs in Windows operating systems.
We hope that through this guide, you can resolve this paralysis error forever.