There are six easy ways to resolve this memory-related Windows 10 ” PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error “.
The most serious errors in Windows 10 are caused by software failures or driver failures. But page faults in non-paged area locks are usually the result of hardware problems, especially RAM. This error can also be attributed to poor virtual memory management in Windows.
Therefore, to eliminate this situation, the user must diagnose hardware and software faults.
There are six ways to fix the blue screen of death PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.
1. Check the RAM
If you have recently made any hardware changes to your computer, it is worth checking that everything is connected correctly.
Sometimes the new RAM can have a problem and even the old RAM can fail. You can perform the following operations to check the RAM. Remember to turn off our computer and disconnect all wiring from the wall outlet before proceeding.
- If you are using two RAM sticks, try switching the slots.
- If you’re using a single RAM chip, then remove any dust that may have accumulated.
- If you have some spare RAM modules lying about, then try replacing the RAM and rebooting the PC. If the error doesn’t appear, then it’s the RAM that’s faulty.
- Try using one RAM slot only.
2. Update or Rollback Drivers
A bad driver can cause serious damage to your computer. This is why it is best to update the driver to the latest version. Sometimes these updates may be unstable, which may cause severe damage to your computer. In this case, it is best to revert to the previous version.
How to Update Drivers Using Device Manager
So far, Device Manager is the most efficient way to keep system drivers up to date.
In the case of a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD, it is usually a problem with the graphics driver or chipset. The graphics driver is under the display adapter in device manager and the chipset driver is under the system device.
Here is how to manually update the device driver using Device Manager:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- In the Device Manager window, look for the drivers you want to update and expand the menu.
- Then right-click on the required driver and click on Update driver.
- In the next window, click on Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Windows will automatically download and install the latest drivers.
How to Roll Back Drivers Using Device Manager
As mentioned above, in some cases, the new driver may be unstable. Here is how to roll back the most recent update using Device Manager:
- Press Windows Key + R to launch the Run command. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- In the Device Manager, expand the section which contains the drivers. Right-click on the desired driver and select Properties.
- Under the Driver tab, click on Roll Back driver.
3. Disable Automatic Management of Paging File Size
This method has a high success rate in correcting the crash of PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA because it directly deals with virtual memory. Windows usually manages the size of the paging file, but if it causes your system to hang, it is best to disable it:
- Go to File Explorer and right-click on This PC. Select Properties.
- On the panel of the left, click on Advanced system settings. You’ll need administrator privileges to do so.
- In System Properties, click on the Advanced tab. Under the Performance section, click on Settings.
- In the Performance Options window, navigate to the Advanced tab.
- In the Virtual Memory section, click on Change.
- Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives option and click on OK.
- Apply all settings and reboot your computer.
If the computer works normally after restart, leave the settings unchanged, but if the error persists, it is recommended to restore the changes and check the option to automatically manage the page file size of all drives.
4. Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Windows Memory Diagnostic is a built-in Windows utility for checking and repairing RAM problems. It is easy to use and very effective. This is how you can use it.
- In the Start menu search bar, type “Windows Memory Diagnostic” and select the Best Match.
- You can either choose to Restart now and check for problems or do so the next time you start your computer. It’s recommended you choose the first option.
5. Use DISM and SFC to Repair Corrupt System Files
DISM and SFC are the two most effective utilities for repairing system files. Since there are countless possibilities for possible causes of errors, it is recommended that you use both utilities at the same time.
How to Run DISM
- In the Start menu search bar, type cmd and right-click on Command Prompt > Run as administrator.
- In the console, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and press Enter.
- Then type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete and exit Command Prompt.
How to Run SFC
- Follow step 1 in the preceding section to run Command Prompt as administrator.
- In the console, type SFC /scannow and press Enter.
- Wait for Windows to scan and fix the errors.
- Restart your computer.
6. Disable Third-Party Software
Many times, third-party software interferes with system functions and may cause blue screen errors, such as PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. In this case, the user must perform a clean boot to exclude the third-party application that caused this error.
How to Perform a Clean Boot
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run command. Type msconfig and press Enter.
- In the System Configuration window, go to the Service tab.
- Check the Hide all Microsoft services option located at the bottom.
- Check all services from the list in the center, and click on Disable all.
- Save and exit.
- Now, open Task Manager. You can do this by pressing CTRL + Shift + ESC
- Under the Startup tab, click on each program and then click Disable.
- Exit and reboot your computer.
If the error is resolved, it means that the problem is caused by a third-party application. You must uninstall the most recently installed application to prevent this from happening in the future.
You’ve Fixed the Page Fault In NonPaged Area Error
The above fix is an easy way to solve PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD. If there is a problem with your hardware, please double check whether it is compatible with your PC, and then have it replaced by an authorized service center.