Transparent images have many creative uses. You can create a collage by placing one image on another image. You can use brighter or more transparent images to highlight other elements, such as text or icons. Make an Image Transparent is a basic and simple edit.
In this guide, we will show you how to make images transparent using some built-in methods and third-party applications in different programs (including Paint, PowerPoint, and Google Slides).
1. In Microsoft Paint 3D
Microsoft Paint is an update to Microsoft Paint, which is included in Windows 10 and is available for free. You can use Paint 3D to meet simple drawing needs, including image transparency.
Note: If you don’t like the image result, you can use Adobe Photoshop to create a transparent background and layer image for great results.
- Launch Paint 3D and then select Menu.
- Next, select Open > Browse files to open your image.
- Select Brushes to open the sidebar.
- Next, go to the Opacity option on the sidebar and drag the slider to adjust to the desired transparency level.
2. In Microsoft Word
If you use Word, you can make the image transparent, but you must first draw a shape, fill it with your image, and then adjust the transparency.
- Select Insert > Shapes to choose a shape and then draw it in your document. Make sure the shape you’re drawing is in the same proportions as the image you want to add to the shape.
- Next, select the shape and then select Shape Format > Shape Outline > No Outline.
- Right-click the shape and select Format Shape.
- Select the Fill icon in the Format Shape pane and then select Picture or texture fill.
- Next, select Insert > Pictures, select the image and then select Insert.
- Adjust the picture’s transparency by moving the transparency slider in the Format Shape pane. Alternatively, enter a number between 0-100 in the box next to the slider to adjust the transparency level.
To make the shape itself transparent, select Insert > Shapes, choose a shape and draw it. Right-click the shape, select Format Shape and then select Fill. From here you can drag the transparency slider to the desired degree of transparency.
Note: You can’t make an image transparent in Office for the web.
3. In Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft PowerPoint provides some basic tools that can be used to edit images, including the ability to make images transparent.
- Open PowerPoint, select Insert > Pictures to insert your image.
- Right-click your image and select Format Picture.
- Select the Image icon in the Format Picture pane.
- Next, select the arrow next to the transparency of the image, and then drag the transparency slider to adjust the transparency of the image.
- You can also change the transparency of part of your image, open your image, select it and then select Picture Format.
- Select Color in the Adjust group.
- Next, select Set Transparent Color and use your cursor to select the color in the image.
Each instance of the selected color in the image will now be completely transparent and present the background color of the slide.
4. In Microsoft Publisher
Microsoft Publisher is a desktop publishing program similar to Word, but it focuses more on page layout and layout. Make the image transparent in Publisher for use in multiple publications.
- Select the image you want to use and then select Picture Tools > Recolor and then select Set Transparent Color.
- In your image, select the color you want to make transparent, select your image and press CTRL+T.
5. In Google Slides
If you’re using Google Slides, you can make an image transparent if you want to add it on top of another image or place text on top of it.
- Select Insert > Image to open the image. Right-click on it and select Format options.
- Select the arrow next to Adjustments and then adjust the transparency slider to the desired opacity level.
6. In Google Docs
Google Docs offers some basic tools that help you make an image transparent and add it anywhere in your document.
- Select Insert > Image to open your image. Click on the image and then select the Image Options button in the toolbar.
- Next, select Adjustments and then adjust the Transparency slider to the desired opacity. Once you’re done, close the Image Options column.
7. In Office 365 on Windows and Mac
If you’re a Microsoft 365 subscriber, you can access and use the Transparency tool to make images transparent in Office 365.
- On your Windows PC, insert your image and select Transparency on the Picture Tools Format tab.
- You’ll see preset transparency options that you can choose from ranging from 0-95 percent.
- Alternatively, you can customize the transparency level by selecting Transparency > Picture Transparency Options.
- Drag the Transparency slider in the Format Picture pane.
8. Make an Image Transparent on Mac
Mac users can change the transparency of objects or images in programs like Pages, Keynote, or Numbers.
Numbers is Apple’s spreadsheet application, you can use it to create beautiful spreadsheets with stunning pictures and tables, and Keynote is Apple’s PowerPoint for making stunning presentations.
- In Pages, Keynote, or Numbers for Mac, open the document that contains the image you want to make transparent, and then tap the Format icon.
- Select your image and then drag the Opacity slider under the Style tab to make the image transparent.
9. Using Third-Party Apps
If you just want a quick way to make images transparent, you can use online tools such as Online PNG. Alternatively, you can use a third-party application such as Snagit or Canva. If you prefer more complex programs, Adobe Photoshop is worth considering.
Adjust Image Transparency Easily
By changing the transparency of an image filter, layer, or effect, you can make sure that more (or fewer) images are visible. We hope this guide makes your image transparency process on Windows and Mac easier.
Related: How to Turn Off Google SafeSearch