Do you want a beautiful and clean desktop? You need to delete the recycle bin to get a minimalist atmosphere.
By default, all files that you delete from your Windows 10 system will go to the recycle bin. From here, you can decide whether to permanently delete files and folders or restore them when they are accidentally deleted.
Since users are more likely to use this application frequently, Microsoft has placed a shortcut to access it on the Windows 10 desktop.
However, if you find that this trash can unnecessarily takes up space on your desktop, here is how to delete the recycle bin from your desktop.
How to Remove the Recycle Bin From the Desktop in Windows 10
- To remove the shortcut, go to your desktop and right-click on an empty area to access the context menu. Then, choose Personalize from the menu.
- In the Personalization window that opens, open the Themes tab from the left pane.
- Next, scroll down to the Related Settings section and click on the Desktop icon settings option.
- In the Desktop Icon Setting window, uncheck the Recycle Bin option.
- Click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
This should help you get rid of the desktop recycle bin in Windows 10. Although you can hide or clean up desktop icons for a cleaner look, there are more ways to customize the Windows 10 desktop.
If you change your mind, please open the desktop icon settings window and select the recycle bin option to restore it to your desktop.
How to Automatically Delete Files in Windows
Accidents happen, which is why the files you deleted in Windows 10 enter the recycle bin. From here, you can permanently delete the file as needed.
That is, if you prefer to permanently delete files without first sending them to the recycle bin, use the Shift key. This is how you do it.
First, select the file to delete. Next, while holding the Shift key on your keyboard, press the Delete key. You can also use the Shift key with the Right-click > Delete method.
How to Disable the Recycle Bin
Disabling the Recycle Bin entirely will permanently remove all the files deleted from your computer.
- Right-click on the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop and choose Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted option. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
The next time you delete a file, take Windows 10 file recovery software with you, as this will permanently delete the file.
Don’t find Recycle Bin useful? Hide it!
The Recycle Bin in Windows 10 is a useful feature that allows you to recover accidentally deleted files. However, if you prefer a cleaner desktop look, you can easily hide it from the desktop icon settings.
Do you want more PC space? You can schedule the recycle bin to be emptied automatically to free up wasted space on your computer.
Related: How to View Battery Cycle Count on a Windows Laptop