Windows allows you to automate a variety of tasks on your computer, including Shut Down Automatically. You can actually set up a shutdown schedule so that your computer shuts down at a predetermined time.
On a Windows PC, setting up the auto shutdown feature is simple and quick. In fact, there are several ways to complete the task, and you can choose the one that is most convenient for you.
Automatically Shut Down a Computer Using Run
If you want to Shut Down Automatically your computer after a certain amount of time, such as 30 minutes, the best and quickest way is to use Run to create a schedule.
All you have to do is type a command in the Run dialog box, and your machine will turn off when the time period you specify ends.
- Press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type in the following command into the box and hit Enter. Make sure to replace 1800 seconds with your own time.shutdown -s -t 1800
When the specified time in seconds has passed, your computer will shut down.
Using Command Prompt To Automatically Shut Down a Computer
If you prefer to do your work with the Command Prompt, you can use it to create a shutdown schedule on your computer as well.
- At the same time, press the Win + R keys.
- In the box on your screen, type cmd and press Enter. A Command Prompt window will appear.
- Type the following command into the Command Prompt window and press Enter. Make sure to substitute 1800 seconds for the time you want to use.
shutdown -s -t 1800
Schedule Automatically Shutting Down a Computer With Task Scheduler
As you can see, the above two methods assist you in shutting down your machine, but they do not allow you to specify a specific shutdown time or date. What if you wanted to turn off your computer every night at 10 p.m.?
This is where Task Scheduler comes in handy. It allows you to create shut down schedules for any date and time, as well as recurring schedules. You can use the utility to set your computer to turn off at 10 p.m. every night, for example.
- To find Task Scheduler, type it into the Cortana search box. When it appears in the search results, click on it.
- When the utility opens, you’ll see a number of options from which to choose. In the right-sidebar, look for the one that says Create Basic Task and click it to open it.
- The next screen asks for your task’s name and description. You can call the task whatever you want as long as you remember what it’s for. Then, to proceed, click Next.
- It will now ask you when you want your task to start. You can choose your options accordingly if you want a recurring task. Select One time and then Next at the bottom if you only want the task to run once.
- You can now set the task’s start time. This is the time and date that your computer will shut down automatically. Fill in the information using the calendar and time boxes, then click Next to continue.
- When the task is finished, it will ask you what action you want to take. Select the Start a program option and then click Next.
- On this screen, you must select the shutdown utility. You can browse your files by clicking the Browse button.
- Head to C:\Windows\System32\ and find and double-click on shutdown.exe.
- For the shutdown utility to shut down your machine, it needs a ‘argument.’ Enter -s in the Add arguments field to have the utility turn off your system without doing anything else, such as rebooting or putting your PC to sleep. Then, to proceed, click Next.
- You’ve reached the task’s final screen. After you’ve double-checked that everything is in order, click Finish to finish creating the shutdown schedule.
Your Task Scheduler task will be triggered at the time and date you specify, and your computer will be shut down automatically. If you’re working on your computer when it’s time to shut down, you risk losing your work.
Use Sleep Timer To Automatically Turn Off a Windows PC
Task Scheduler does the job, but it isn’t the most user-friendly tool for creating shutdown schedules. As you can see, creating a schedule necessitates passing through a number of screens before your task is complete.
If you don’t want to waste time on this and would prefer a faster solution, a third-party app may be able to assist you.
Enter Sleep Timer, a free portable Windows app that allows you to shut down your computer at any time without having to go through multiple screens. It only has a single screen where you can set your preferences, and then your schedule is ready.
- Double-click the app to open it after downloading it to your computer.
- You have several options for shutting down your computer on the main screen. You must configure it as follows in order for it to turn off your machine at the time you specify.Mode – choose Time
Action – make sure Shutdown is selected
Perform action at – choose the desired time when you want to turn off your PC
Then, to begin the task, click the play icon. It will show you how much time is left before your computer shuts down.