Users of Windows 11 who open a specific folder frequently can assign a keyboard shortcut to open it quickly. Once you’ve assigned a keyboard shortcut to a folder, you’ll be able to open it quickly the next time you use it. This workaround will work for any folder that is accessible from any drive or within the folder.
In this article, we’ll show you how to assign a custom keyboard shortcut to your folders in Windows 11.
How do Custom Keyboard Shortcuts work on Windows 11?
You’ll need to create a desktop shortcut for your specific folder before you can make a keyboard shortcut for it. You can then assign that desktop shortcut to a keyboard shortcut with ease. When you press the assigned keyboard shortcut again, your preferred folder appears in a File Explorer window. You won’t have to search through your local drives for your preferred folder to open this way.
If you want to open multiple folders with a keyboard shortcut, you’ll need to create desktop shortcuts for each of them. Then save those desktop shortcuts to a desktop folder. This prevents your desktop from becoming cluttered with folder shortcuts.
How to Compose a Keyboard Shortcut to Open a Folder on Windows 11?
- To begin, open File Explorer and locate the folder for which you want to create a keyboard shortcut.
- Then select Show more options from the context menu when you right-click on the folder.
- Then choose Send To > Desktop from the drop-down menu (create shortcut).
- Now go to the Desktop (Windows + D) and look for the shortcut to your folder. Then, from the pop-up menu, right-click on the folder shortcut and select Properties.
- Select the Shortcut tab in the Properties dialog. After that, click the Shortcut key field in the Shortcut tab and press any key on the keyboard (A to Z and 1 to 0). Ctrl + Alt will be added to the keyboard shortcut by Windows.
- When you’re finished, go to the bottom and click the Apply button.
- Finally, press the OK key to exit.
That is all there is to it. When you want to open your preferred folder, press the assigned key combination.
People also ask