There’s no question that while Twitch is one of the biggest platforms for gamers, it’s also a good place to watch because other players can play and stream live. The platform also encourages expansion to other types of streaming, including music, sports, news, etc. Twitch is one of the platforms that can be watched almost anywhere, and its apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Fire TV, PlayStation, Xbox, and Apple TV. One notable absence is Roku. Fortunately, you can easily fix the absence of Twitch on Roku, so let’s take a look at how to stream Twitch on Roku.
How to Add Twitch to Roku
1. The first step is to go to https://my.roku.com on your browser. Enter your login credentials into the Roku site.
2. After logging in, you should go to the “My Account” page. On this page, you can find a menu option for “Add channel using code”. It’s in the middle of the page, under the “Manage Account” heading.
3. Click on “Add a channel with code” to be taken to an add channel screen. It’s here that you can type any number of available codes for software that is not officially supported by Roku. In the case of Twitch, type in “Twoku” (not case sensitive) and hit “Add Channel.”
4. When you try to add a channel, a pop-up window should appear stating that you are trying to add an unverified channel. This is natural and is primarily to eliminate any liability Roku may have taken for adding channels.
5. Hit “Okay” to accept the terms and conditions. On the next screen, you should see the Twoku icon appear along with a message that the channel is FREE and that it doesn’t have ratings for its content.
After adding a channel, all you have to do is (possibly) log in and start watching Twitch. You will be able to search for channels and categories to stream, but the chat function is disabled. If Twoku does not appear on your homepage immediately, please be sure to update your page via “Settings> System> System Update”, which will also update your homepage and add the Twoku channel.
If you find that Twoku is not the right Twitch option for you, there is another popular channel called Twitch.TV, which can also play Twitch through your Roku. To add Twitch.TV, follow the same steps above and use “TwitchTV” when adding the channel name. Send unauthenticated messages and follow the steps below to add channels.
Streaming through Chromecast, AirPlay, etc. on a Roku TV
If the idea of adding an unverified third-party application to your Roku TV makes you hesitant, please rest assured that this is not your only option. Although Roku is also a TV operating system, additional streaming services like Chromecast and AirPlay can still work normally after connecting via HDMI or enabling AirPlay. Turn on your Roku TV and select your Chromecast or AirPlay channel. For AirPlay, go to “Settings> Apple AirPlay and HomeKit” and enable AirPlay on your Roku TV.
To stream Twitch, open the Twitch app and run it on any Android or iOS smart device (iPhone or iPad). Click on the Cast icon or AirPlay button at the top of the app, and a new window will appear asking which TV you want to cast to. Make your choice and start broadcasting.
I can only hope Twitch can get back to the official Roku app directory ASAP. At the same time, third-party apps are filling in the gaps. Although they lack certain features, they provide the most critical part of the Twitch experience.