Notifications are a godsend until you need to do something important on your phone. This is when the warning turns into a curse. Imagine this: you are sharing a screen in a meeting or class and your friend sends you a very embarrassing message. All meeting participants will see the notification. Fortunately, you can easily avoid these problems by temporarily disabling notifications on your Android phone.
Turn Off Notifications Temporarily on Android Using Do Not Disturb Mode
Although muting your phone is one way to turn off notifications, it only turns off sound notifications. You will continue to receive pop-up notifications on the screen. To temporarily disable notifications on Android, you need to enable Do Not Disturb (DND) mode on Android.
It allows you to turn off all notifications with one button. You can customize and create exceptions about how and types of notifications you want to receive.
Is enabled as follows:
1. Open the settings on the phone and then go to Sound and vibration.
2. Click Do Not Disturb. On Samsung phones, go to “Settings> Notifications> Do not disturb”. If you can’t find “Do Not Disturb” in any of these places, use the search bar at the top of the settings to search.
3. Touch the “Activate Now” button to activate it. Or, enable the switch next to “Do Not Disturb.” You also need to customize the Do Not Disturb mode according to your needs.
You will find many custom settings on this screen. The most important thing is the hidden or hidden notification settings. Play. You will see more custom settings again. Enable the “Notification without picture or sound” setting. On Samsung, you will have “hide pop-up notifications”.
Once enabled, you will not receive sound notifications or pop-up windows. The notification panel will be empty and will not contain any notifications. However, once you disable Do Not Disturb mode, all missed notifications will appear in the notification panel.
Related: How to Fix Spotify Keeps Pausing?
In addition, you can create exceptions where you can set which applications, sounds, and people can automatically trigger notifications. You can even create a DND schedule for this mode to automatically turn on and off at a set time.
When you are interested in receiving notifications normally on your phone, you only need to disable the Do Not Disturb mode. To do this, repeat step 2 above and turn off Do Not Disturb mode. Alternatively, you can disable it from the quick settings, which can be accessed by swiping down from the notification panel. After you set custom settings according to your needs, you can also enable Do Not Disturb mode from the quick settings.
Pause Notifications for Individual Apps
The above method allows you to disable notifications for all apps. If you only want to temporarily disable notifications for some apps, use the app’s individual notification settings to do so.
1. Open the settings and enter the application.
2. In the Installed or All apps section, find the app for which you want to turn off notifications. Take WhatsApp as an example, click WhatsApp and then Notification.
3. Close the first lever. It should display something like “All WhatsApp notifications” or “Show notifications”. Doing so will disable all WhatsApp notifications. In other words, when you receive a new message, it will arrive in the WhatsApp application quietly without sending a notification. You need to open WhatsApp to check for new messages.
Similarly, turn off notifications from other applications by turning off the top switch. You can further customize and disable notifications for each category in the application. For example, you can only disable group messages, not individual messages. You will find all custom settings in the notification settings of the app.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to turn off Android notifications at night?
Using the Do Not Disturb mode scheduling function, you can automatically turn off notifications at night. Choose the start and end time according to your needs.
2. Do other people know when you turn off notifications?
no. Others will not be informed that you have disabled notifications.
3. Can I pause notifications by enabling Airplane Mode?
Turning on airplane mode does not turn off notifications. However, because you are no longer connected to the Internet, your application will not be able to send you notifications. Therefore, you can indirectly suspend notifications from web-based applications by enabling airplane mode, but you cannot suspend notifications from local applications that do not require an internet connection (such as calendar or reminder applications). Also, if you want to do something on the Internet while keeping the notification suspended, this trick won’t help.